Wooden House: The New Generations of Wood
Beyond the traditional solid wood, new generation materials exist and are more and more frequently used by builders. These structural woods guarantee consistent qualities and present superior technical performances to solid wood.
Here is a table showing you the main characteristics of new generation wood:
|Laminated veneer lumber (LVL)
||LVL is a wood material of the last generation:
- It comes in trays, up to 2.50m wide, with a maximum length of 25m.
- Its thickness can go from 25 to 90 mm.
- It is used in beams, floors, self-supporting panels, portals, or posts.
- Thin and very light, it offers twice the resistance of solid or glued laminated wood.
- Its lightness allows great architectural freedom for contemporary lines.
- Highly fire resistant, it is compatible with various treatments and finishing products.
- Adaptable yet stable, this material has remarkable mechanical qualities and can be used in various ways with equal effectiveness.
- Cross-laminated panels belong to the latest generation of wood materials.
- They are made from artificially dried spruce strips, calibrated, and laminated in at least three cross-ply.
- Very robust, the cross-laminated panel can be used for floors, roofs, and walls.
- Easy to implement, it allows terse construction times.
- This type of panel allows a great deal of freedom in architectural design.
|Turned wood walls and floors
- Turned wood wall and floor elements belong to the latest generation of wood materials.
- They consist of placing boards on edge and drilling holes regularly.
- Beechwood dowels are placed in these holes after being artificially dried to 6-8%, while the spruce of the boards are kept between 12 and 15%.
- Moisture exchanges occur between the two kinds of wood, which cause the trunnions to swell permanently.
- This gives the whole unit total stability and robustness: a clever and ultra-innovative technique.
- Because they use artificially seasoned wood, pegboard wall and floor assemblies are lightweight.
- They greatly facilitate the implementation, saving time.
- This innovative material can be used for walls and floors in large buildings and individual houses.
|Hollow floor box
- The open box floor is an example of the latest generation of wood materials.
- Prefabricated in the factory, it forms a continuous surface and a lightweight unit. The box is cut to size and delivered ready to grill.
- The hollow floor box can play different roles in the construction: load-bearing, thermal and acoustic insulation, protection in case of fire, or simple aesthetics.
- You can use it in construction or renovation.
- Made ready to deliver, the box saves precious time.
We tried to make this post as short and simple as possible to help you choose the type of wooden materials for your house. Remember to leave your comments below.
– Comparison of Timber for a Wooden House;
– Why Choose Wood Framing for Your House;
– How to Treat Exterior Wood;
– Erecting the Frame of a Wooden House;
– 4 Steps to Install the Wooden Slab of a Wooden House;
– What Happens to Wood After Use?
– What’s All That Growing Interest for Wooden Houses?
– 9 Steps for the Earthwork and Foundations of a Wooden House;
– How to Choose Your Wooden Credenza?
– 4 Popular Types of Wood Construction;
– How to Paint Wood;
– 4 Steps to Make a Wall Foundation;
– The Stages of Building a Basement
– What Architects Will Not Tell You!
– Stages of Construction of a House
– What Is Underpinning
– 4 Steps to Build a Wall