3 Steps to Digging a Foundation with a Mini Excavator
– Focus on renting a mini excavator
– Step 1: Locate and mark the foundation
– Step 2: Dig the foundation with a mini excavator
– Step 3: Finalize the foundation
While it is possible to do your foundation with a shovel and pickaxe, for small trenches, you can rent what is called a mini excavator.
Digging a foundation with a mini-excavator requires little effort, and this machine allows you to make an excavation to the correct size and depth quickly. Here is how to do it.
Focus on renting a mini excavator
You will most likely choose to rent a mini excavator to dig your foundations. Here are some points to note to organize this rental at best:
– First of all, you should know that the rental cost does not include the cost of accessories, consumables, and transportation.
– If you have never driven a mini-excavator before, you should allow half a day to get used to it. It is, therefore, preferable to rent it for a whole weekend.
– As for the choice of the model, you should choose it according to the depth to be dug: the deeper you dig, the more powerful and heavy the machine will have to be, but this implies holding a specific license.
– So that you are not caught unprepared, bring an extra can of diesel of at least 10 liters corresponding to about 4 or 5 hours of work.
1. Locate and lay the foundation
Before you start the structural work, you should proceed as follows:
– Mark the location of your future foundation with stakes, then draw a line between them.
– Then, spread chalk over the line and remove it and the stakes.
– You can now begin work with the mini excavator.
2. Dig the foundation with the mini excavator
Now that you have the mini-excavator in hand, it’s time to dig your foundation:
– Stand facing the future trench, put the blade down on the ground at the back of the machine, and place the bucket on the ground, ready to dig.
– Using the power of the arm, push the bucket teeth into the ground as you would a shovel and fold the arm and bucket to “scoop up the dirt”.
– Fold the bucket completely against the arm. Raise the bucket by operating the turret to position it to deposit the soil.
– Unfold the arm to bring the bucket to the ground and unfold it to release the soil to the ground in the defined location.
Good to know: it is essential to get the bucket into the ground before pressing the arm of the mini-excavator. This will allow you to recover the maximum amount of soil in one take.
3. Finalize the foundation
– To complete the excavation, use a shovel and a pickaxe because the bottom must be flat and the sides plumb.
– Check with the level on a rafter.
– Finish by tamping the soil.
Below is a list of materials needed to dig a foundation with a mini excavator.
List of materials needed:
Hope this post helps you dig a foundation with a mini excavator. Please, remember to leave your comments below.